by Rex Conklin with Frank Klin
Come now let us reason together. We are challenged to be Bereans so test the spirits and search the Scriptures to see if these things are so. Study with a friend and pray for discernment because we are promised that wherever two or three are gathered in Jesus’ Name, He is there. May you be richly blessed as you study His Word. Bear one another’s burdens. Encourage each other. Pray with and for each other. May you be richly blessed as you study His Word.
John the Baptist proclaimed, “He that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, the same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.” - (John 1:33,34)
1) Jesus shared with the Samaritan woman, “If thou knewest the Gift (1431) of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of Him, and He would have given thee living water." - (John 4:10)
Gift - Greek 1431: d?rea, “Used in the New Testament to denote a spiritual or supernatural gift, something which becomes the recipients abiding possession” (Zodhiates Lexical Aids of the New Testament, Thayer’s Lexicon). This word, the focus of our study, is mentioned 11 times in the New Testament.
"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and they that worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth. The woman saith unto Him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when He is come, He will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee Am." - (John 4:23-26)
With that foundation let’s pursue the 10 other times this Gift is manifested.
"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His Life. For the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” - (Romans 5:10 & 8:2)
2) "But not as the offence, so also the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the Grace of God, and the Gift (1431) by Grace, by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many." - (Romans 5:15)
3) "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of Grace and of the Gift (1431) of Righteousness shall reign in life by One, Jesus Christ. - (Romans 5:17)
"For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence . . Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." - (Acts 1:5, 8)
"And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:" - (Acts 2:17)
"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." - (Acts 2:4)
"This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, He hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear." - (Acts 2:32-33)
4) "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the Gift (1431) of the Holy Ghost." - (Acts 2:38)
Peter witnesses the Gift poured out on a new group of believers.
5) "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the Gift (1431) of the Holy Ghost. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days." - (Acts 10:44-45,48)
Once again Peter is an instrument for the Gift. "And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that He said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. – (Acts 11:15-16)
6) “Forasmuch then as God gave them the like Gift (1431) as unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?" - (Acts 11:17)
This correlates with the gospel of John where Jesus told the disciples He is the Truth, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, who would bring His words to their remembrance. He also said He is the Life and you’ll find He’s the Spirit of Life mentioned in Romans 8:2.
In Acts 8 we have the account of Simon Magus, the Sorcerer, who wanted to buy the power of the Spirit of Christ and use it for his own glory.
7) "And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the Gift (1431) of God may be purchased with money." - (Acts 8:18-20)
8) "If ye have heard of the dispensation of the Grace of God which is given me to you-ward . . That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His (the Father’s) promise in Christ by the gospel: whereof I was made a minister, according to the Gift (1431) of the Grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of His power. Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this Grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love," - (Ephesians 3:2, 6-8, 16, 17)
With the Gift of the Grace of God, Paul was able to preach the unsearchable riches of Christ, that we would be strengthened with might by His Spirit in us, that Christ may dwell in our hearts by faith. “I will not leave you comfortless. I will come to you.” What a profound truth.
Our next Gift comes as a testimony to the Corinthians for the generous “distribution” from the churches of Macedonia to the church in Jerusalem.
"Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia; how that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves; praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God. - (2 Corinthians 8:1-5)
9) "Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they (the church at Jerusalem) glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all; and by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding Grace of God in you. Thanks unto God for His unspeakable (indescribable) Gift (1431)." - (2 Corinthians 9:13-15)
Words oft’ times fail when trying to formulate ways to describe the awesomeness of the Gift of the Father in sending His only begotten Son to us. That much love is incomprehensible. We are thankful for Their “liberal distribution” to each one of us so that we can have true *fellowship and communion with Them, for the “council of peace shall be between Them both.” - (Zechariah 6:13).
*See our study “Communion and Fellowship.”
10) "There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism (completed act), one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. But unto every one of us is given Grace according to the measure of the Gift (1431) of Christ." - (Ephesians 4:4-7)
Christ = Christos (5547) in Greek. Christos means Anointed One with Holy Oil, as of the High Priest.
Would you like to see when Christ was anointed with Holy Oil as our High Priest? Look again at Acts 2, 32-33. "This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, He (Jesus) hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear."
"Thou preparest a table before Me in the presence of Mine enemies: Thou anointest My head with oil; My cup runneth over." - (Psalms 23:5)
“Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows.” - (Hebrews 1:9)
"Behold, how good and how pleasant for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; as the dew of Hermon, that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the Blessing, even Life for evermore." - (Psalms 133:1-3)
See our study “And He Shall Baptize You With the Holy Ghost.”
Now look at verse 8 in Ephesians chapter 4. “Wherefore He saith, When He (Christ) ascended up on high, He led captivity captive, and gave Gifts unto men.
These Gifts were “for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." - (Ephesians 4:12-16)
Christ Himself gave gifts to the body of Christ, whose head is Christ, so that we could have the fullness of Christ and come into unity and knowledge of the Son of God. See how there is not one mention of any other “best man” or interloper to take away the Gift of Himself through His Holy Spirit?
11) "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection (moral and spiritual perfection); not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment . . . For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the Heavenly Gift (1431), and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good Word of God, and the Powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame." - (Hebrews 6:1-2, 4-6)
Many have been buried alive in baptism. We want to be dead and buried to self and our sinful nature so we can accept the Gift of the living person and presence of Christ daily dwelling in us by His Spirit, as our abiding possession. He’s calling now, “to every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.” – (Isaiah 55:1)
What is your answer to Him?